Useful Tips

Changing your name on your property

Every lender has their own terms and conditions, and this is intended only as a general guide to understanding this topic. Contact us to discuss your individual circumstances.

If you have changed your name due to marriage (or divorce), your property and loan are in your old name and you want to update your name. It’s not simple or free. There are several processes to go through, with quite a few fees and costs involved.


All parties on the title to the property have to complete a form you can obtain from the Land Titles Office to create a new folio to register your new name on the certificate of title for your property.
Complete a statutory declaration stating the reason for your name change.
Request your lender to release mortgage & re-mortgage. Each lender will have a specific form to complete and most lenders will charge a fee to process this. You should allow $200-$500.
You will have to pay the state government fees to discharge & re-register the mortgage. Allow about $200-$250 for this.
Then you lodge the New Folio form and the statutory declaration with the Land Titles office (your lender may do this on your behalf).
You may have to provide a certified copy of your name change certificate.
The Land Titles office fee is about $130

The total fees will be somewhere between $530-$880.